These are some practice theory questions for you to practice on for the CPCS Excavator 360 exam.
The pass mark for the CPCS Excavator test is 80%, this test is a theory verbal questions and answer test, so not as formal or scary as a written exam. The test will last around 1 hour.
- What makes up the total (or gross) weight of a load that is to be lifted?
- On both tracked and wheeled types:
a) what differs between lifting over the side compared to over the front or the rear of the machine?
b) Explain why.
- Accessories must only be attached to manufacturers' approved lifting points.
Explain THREE possible consequences if the recommendations are not followed.
- If the load inadvertently or accidentally lands, what course of action should be taken?
- Before lowering into or moving a drag box into a trench, what trench-related checks must be made?
- If a hook is fitted to the machine for lifting purposes, what must be checked before use?
- When an object needs to be lifted on a site, what should be the first consideration of planning?
- Who determines the lifting/object handling capacity of the machine?
- Why must the controls be isolated before each load can be attached or disconnected by the slinger?
- With regards to lifting accessories, irrespective of who supplied the accessories, what THREE factors should be ensured before the accessories are used?
- Why should long loads be lifted using a swivelling type lifting accessory?
- According to legislation, when are check valves and a rated capacity or load moment indicator required?
- What needs to be inspected on a quick-hitch coupler if attaching lifting accessories for the lifting of slung loads?
- If the machine's rated capacity/object handling capacity chart is not available for reference, what other method can be used to determine the machine's lifting capacity?
- What is the main purpose of the Rated Capacity Indicator (RCI) or Load Moment Indicator (LMI)?
- Using the lifting capacity diagram for A59:
a) if the machine is equipped with a 2.5 m long dipper, what is the maximum lifting capacity in tonnes at a 6 m radius/reach
over the sides of the track with the load at 3 m height
b) in principle, if a longer dipper is fitted, what effect does that have on the lifting capacity (assuming same size bucket and
- If attaching accessories to a quick-hitch coupler, give TWO reasons why the coupler should be tilted in the downwards position (ram extended)?
- Explain the purpose of a lift plan.
- If the accessory attachment point is not part of the bucket, give TWO reasons why it should be removed.
- Manufacturers' lifting or object handling capacity charts apply (in all known cases) when the machine is level. What is the effect if a load is lifted or travelled facing downhill on a downhill slope?
- What is regarded as the danger or hazard zone during a lifting operation?
- When slewing with a load, where should the operator be looking?
- The safe working load (SWL) or working load limit (WLL) of a multi-leg chain sling only applies in what TWO conditions or configuration?
- Which parts of the machine is the radius (for lifting) measured from?
- What effect can a swinging load have on an excavator?
- If travelling with a load, name FIVE factors that must be taken into account by the operator before moving.