Welcome to our free CSCS Mock test online – your first step towards achieving your Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) Card! This CSCS Practice exam is based on a bank of over 450 practice questions and has been designed to give you an insight into what to expect from the actual CSCS Test. You will have 45 minutes to answer all 50 multiple-choice questions, just like in the real exam.
CSCS Mock Test 2023 Questions
To pass this CSCS mock test, you need to get at least 45 out of 50 correct. This means that it is important for you to read each question carefully and ensure that you understand what is being asked. Some questions may require more than one answer, so be sure to check them fully before submitting your answers.
This is a full 50 question exam, you will get 50 random questions pulled from a bank of over 450! In this mock test, we have provided the latest 50 questions you might be asked when sitting your real CSCS Test. In order to pass your CSCS test, you will need to score at least 45 out of 50 correct answers in 45 minutes.
We haven't set a timer on this CSCS Practice exam; however, it's important not to rush through it as accuracy is key when taking the real test. Once you've completed the CSCS mock test, don't forget to check your answers thoroughly before submitting them.
If you have any questions about the CSCS Test or would like further advice on how best to prepare for it, please post them below and our team of experts will be happy to help. Good luck with your studies!
CSCS is short for Construction Skills Certification Scheme. The UK organisation that is in charge of providing workers on construction sites a CSCS Card. If you want to work on a construction site in the UK it is a requirement to have a CSCS Card. Having a card ensures that construction workers are qualified and have an understanding of health and safety before working on a construction site.
What is the CSCS Test?
To be able to work on a construction site you will need to obtain your CSCS card, the CSCS Test or known as the HS&E Test or CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test. The Construction Industry Training Board or (CITB) are the company in charge of providing the test. They have been contracted by CSCS to handle all aspects for potential applicants and construction workers, from assessments to card applications.
Which CSCS test should I take?
Operative Test: This test is suitable for most construction workers who perform general labor tasks on construction sites, such as laborers, ground workers, and operatives in various trades. Specialist Trade Test: If you work in a specific trade within the construction industry, such as plumbing, carpentry, bricklaying, or electrical work, you may need to take a specialist trade test that assesses your knowledge and skills in that particular area. Managerial and Professional Test: This test is intended for individuals in managerial or supervisory roles, as well as professionals like engineers, surveyors, and architects who work in the construction industry.
How do I revise for the test?
The best way is to take as many mock tests as possible and learn from all the questions we have to offer. The CSCS Test will consist of 50 knowledge based questions, selected from 4 main sections. These include High risk activities, occupational health, working environment and safety. Each one of these sections has multiple sub-sections. Each exam will contain a random amount of each subsection, so it is best to revise as many as possible. Below you will find each subsection under its main section and linked is a test for each one.
In total, the CSCS Test has 50 multiple choice questions. The questions will be randomly served up from a bank of hundreds of questions.
What is the duration of the test?
The test is timed and you have 45 minutes to finish. This will give you just under 1 minute to answer each question. You will have a countdown timer in the corner so you will know how long you have left in the real exam. Our mock tests are not timed so you can take your time and study the questions and answers.
How many questions do you need to pass the CSCS mock test?
Can I take books or notes with me when I sit the test?
Unfortunately not, you will not be able to take any study material with you in the exam. You will have to leave all your belongings outside in the lockers that will be provided.
What types of questions are there?
Mostly the questions will be multiple choice based. Either selecting one correct answer and multiple correct answers. There are a few different types of questions such as: Drag and drop images Drag and drop text Hot area Hot spot Multiple choice Multiple choice with images
Is audio support available for questions and answers?
Absolutely, when you go to book your test you will be able to either pick English or Welsh voice overs. Another option is to have a voice assistant in many different European languages.
How do I check my CITB mock test results?
At the end of our CSCS mock exams on this website, you will be able to submit your results, after you will be shown all of the questions with your answers and any incorrect answers you provide.
What are some tips to pass the test?
CSCS Practice test, CSCS test Practice, Practice! Take your time reading the questions, some will ask what you should do while others will ask you what you should NOT do. Make sure you answer every question, if you do not know the answer, try to eliminate the wrong answers and then take an educated guess with what answers are left. Do not spend too much time on one question, you only have 45 minutes to complete the test. If you get stuck, come back to it at the end when you have completed all the other CSCS test questions.
Printable Test Show all test questions
1. When would you expect eyewash bottles to be provided? Give ONE Answer A. On all sites where showers are needed B. Only on demolition sites where asbestos has to be removed C. On all sites where people could get something in their eyes D. Only on sites where refurbishment is being carried out
2. You are involved in an incident on site that was dangerous but no-one was injured Who must you report this 'dangerous occurrence' to? Give ONE Answer A. The first aider B. Your site supervisor or the site manager C. The rest of the workforce D. The client for the project
3. You need to run an electrical cable across an area used by vehicles What TWO things should you do? Give All Correct Answers A. Run the cable at head height B. Cover the cable with a protective ramp C. Put up a sign that says ‘Ramp ahead’ D. Cover the cable with scaffold boards
E. Wrap the cable in yellow tape so that drivers can see it 4. What is the main reason for having a person positioned immediately outside a confined space whilst work is taking place inside it? Give ONE Answer A. To supervise the work taking place inside the confined space B. To get the rescue plan underway in an emergency C. To carry out a risk assessment for the work D. To check compliance with the method statement
5. What equipment should you have if you are doing non-licensed work on asbestos-containing materials? Give ONE Answer A. Suitable respiratory protective equipment (RPE) (eg disposable face mask with a FFP3 rating) B. Disposable overalls ('type 5') C. Laceless footwear D. All of these answers
6. Your doctor has given you some medication Which of these s is the most important? Give ONE Answer A. Will I oversleep and be late for work? B. Will I work more slowly? C. Will it make me drowsy or unsafe to work? D. Will my supervisor find out?
7. A WATER fire extinguisher, identified by a red band, should ONLY be used on what type of fire? Give ONE Answer A. Metal and molten metal B. Electrical fires C. Wood, paper, textile and solid material fires D. Flammable liquids (fuel, oil, varnish, paints, etc)
8. What is the MAIN objective of carrying out an accident investigation? Give ONE Answer A. To find out who is at fault B. To find out the causes in order to prevent it happening again C. To record what injuries were sustained D. To find out the cost of any damage that occurred
9. Why is the Health and Safety at Work Act important to you? Give TWO answers Give All Correct Answers A. It puts legal duties on your employer to provide a safe place to work B. It tells you which parts of the site are dangerous C. It puts legal duties on you as a worker D. It must be learned before starting work E. It tells you how to do your job
10. Why is methane gas dangerous in confined spaces? Give TWO answers. Give All Correct Answers A. It makes you hyperactive B. It can explode C. It makes you dehydrated D. You will not be able to see because of the dense fumes E. You may not have enough oxygen to breathe
11. A scaffold guard-rail must be removed to allow you to carry out a survey. You are not a scaffolder. Can you remove the guard-rail? Give ONE Answer A. Yes, if you put it back as soon as you have finished B. Yes, if you put it back before you leave site C. No, only a scaffolder can remove the guard-rail and put it back D. No, only a scaffolder can remove the guard-rail but you can put it back
12. You think some mobile plant is operating too close to where you have to work. What should you do first? Give ONE Answer A. Stop work and speak to the plant operator B. Stop work and speak to the plant operator’s supervisor C. Keep a good lookout for the plant and carry on working D. Stop work and speak to your own supervisor
13. How can you help PREVENT a fire hazard? Give ONE Answer A. Store solvents and paints in the drying room B. Leave your clothes over a heater all night C. Store materials and equipment along the exit routes D. Keep your work area tidy and place waste in the bins provided
14. Who on site needs to understand relevant environmental risks on a construction site? Give ONE Answer A. Only the subcontractors B. All people working on site C. Only the principal contractor D. Just the environmental clerk of works
15. Do you have any responsibility with regard to sustainability on site? Give ONE Answer A. Only on sites where there are rare species of plants B. Yes, on every site that you go on to C. No, it is a matter for the Environment Agency D. No, it is a matter for the site manager
16. When digging, you hit and damage a buried cable. What should you do? Give ONE Answer A. Do not touch the cable, stop work and report it B. Dig round the cable or dig somewhere else C. Wait 10 seconds and then move the cable out of the way D. Move the cable out of the way and carry on digging
17. Which of the following do you need to do to ensure that your mask works? Give ONE Answer A. Check you are wearing it correctly B. Pass a face fit test wearing the mask C. Check it’s the correct type needed D. All of these answers
18. If you see a dumper being driven too fast you should: Give ONE Answer A. do nothing, dumpers are allowed to go above the site speed limit B. try to catch the dumper and speak to the driver C. keep out of its way and report the matter D. report the matter to the police
19. Do you need to inspect simple hand tools like trowels, screwdrivers, saws and hammers? Give ONE Answer A. Yes, they should be checked each time you use them B. No, never C. Yes, if they have not been used for a couple of weeks D. Only if someone else has borrowed them
20. When you walk across the site, what is the best way to avoid an accident with mobile plant? Give ONE Answer A. Get the attention of the driver before you get too close B. Keep to the designated pedestrian routes C. Wear hi-vis clothing D. Ride on the plant
21. What are the TWO conditions for being able to operate plant on site? Give All Correct Answers A. You must hold a UK passport B. You must be trained and competent C. You must hold a full driving licence D. You must be over 21 years old E. You must be authorised
22. You have been given disposable earplugs to use, but they keep falling out What should you do? Give ONE Answer A. Throw them away and work without them B. Stop work until you get more suitable ones and are shown how to fit them C. Put two ear plugs in each ear so they stay in place D. Put rolled-up tissue paper in each ear
23. If you have unused material left, what should you always do before you consider putting it into a skip? Give ONE Answer A. Tell your supervisor B. Make sure there is room in the skip C. Make sure there is a label on it D. Check whether someone else can make use of it
24. What is the legal minimum that should be provided on site for washing your hands? Give ONE Answer A. A cold water standpipe and paper towels B. Hot and cold water (or warm water), soap and a way to dry your hands C. A bowl, kettle and towel D. Nothing, there is no need to provide washing facilities
25. Most cutting and grinding machines have guards What are the TWO main functions of the guard? Give All Correct Answers A. To balance the machine B. To give you a firm handhold C. To stop materials getting onto the blade or wheel D. To stop you coming into contact with the blade or wheel E. To stop fragments flying into the air
26. You are likely to suffer LESS from hand-arm vibration if you are: Give ONE Answer A. very wet but warm B. cold and wet C. very cold but dry D. warm and dry
27. You have been asked to clean up oil that has leaked from machinery onto the ground. What is the right way to do this? Give ONE Answer A. Mix the soil up with other soil so that the oil cannot be seen B. Put the oily soil into a separate container for collection as hazardous waste C. Put the oily soil into the general waste skip D. Wash the oil away with water and detergent
28. If an extension cable has a cut in its outer cover, you should: Give ONE Answer A. check the copper wires aren't showing in the cut and then use the cable B. report the fault and make sure no-one else uses the cable C. put electrical tape around the damaged part D. put a bigger fuse in the cable plug
29. What does this sign mean?Warning – laser beams Give ONE Answer A. Warning – explosive substance B. Warning – laser beams C. Flashing lights ahead D. Radioactive area
30. How can asbestos be correctly identified? Give ONE Answer A. By the colour of the dust B. By putting a piece in water and seeing if it dissolves C. The dust gives off a strong smell D. By getting a sample analysed in a lab
31. How would you expect a well-organised site to keep pedestrians away from traffic routes? Give ONE Answer A. There will be barriers between traffic and pedestrian routes B. The traffic routes will be shown on the Health and Safety Law poster C. The site manager will direct all pedestrians away from traffic routes D. There is no need to keep traffic and pedestrians apart
32. What does this sign mean?You must wear safety eye protection Give ONE Answer A. You must wear safety eye protection B. Caution, poor lighting C. Warning, bright lights or lasers D. Safety glasses cleaning station
33. You are more likely to catch Weil’s disease (leptospirosis) if you: Give ONE Answer A. work near wet ground, waterways or sewers B. work near air-conditioning units C. fix showers or baths D. drink water from a standpipe
34. Exposure to which of the following may NOT result in lung disease? Give ONE Answer A. Strong smells B. Silica dust C. Bird droppings D. Asbestos
35. You are using some equipment It has just been given a prohibition notice What does this mean? Give ONE Answer A. You must not use it until it is made safe B. You can use it as long as you take more care C. Only supervisors can use it D. You must not use it unless your supervisor is present
36. Yellow and black signs are:warning signs Give ONE Answer A. mandatory signs – meaning you MUST do something B. warning signs – alerting you to hazards or danger C. safe condition signs – giving you information D. prohibition signs – meaning you MUST NOT do something
37. Safety footwear with a protective mid-sole will protect you against: Give ONE Answer A. getting blisters B. twisting your ankle C. chemicals burning your feet D. nails or sharp objects puncturing the underside of your foot if you stand on them
38. What is the most important reason for keeping your work area clean and tidy? Give ONE Answer A. So that waste skips can be emptied more often B. So that you don’t have a big clean-up at the end of the week C. To recycle waste and help the environment D. To prevent slips, trips and falls
39. Under the regulations for manual handling , all workers must: Give ONE Answer A. wear back-support belts when lifting anything B. follow their employer’s safe systems of work C. lift any size of load once the risk assessment has been done D. make a list of all the heavy things they have to carry
40. It is safe to work close to an overhead power line if: Give ONE Answer A. the power is switched off B. it is not raining C. you do not touch the line for more than 30 seconds D. you use a wooden ladder
41. When using a ladder what should the slope or angle of the ladder be? Give ONE Answer A. 85° B. 75° C. 60° D. 45°
42. You are working in an excavation. If you see the side supports move, you should: Give ONE Answer A. keep watching to see if they move again B. make sure that you and others get out quickly C. work in another part of the excavation D. do nothing as the sides move all the time
43. If you use a power tool to cut or grind materials, why must the dust be collected and not get into the air? Give ONE Answer A. Most dust can be harmful if breathed in B. To save time and avoid having to clear up the mess C. The tool will go faster if the dust is collected D. You do not need a machine guard if the dust is collected
44. A DRY POWDER fire extinguisher, identified by a blue band, could be used on all types of fire but is BEST suited to what TWO types of fire? Give All Correct Answers A. Flammable gas (LPG, propane, etC) B. Flammable liquids (fuel, oil, varnish, paints, etC) C. Metal and molten metal D. Electrical fires E. Wood, paper, textile and solid material fires
45. Your doctor tells you that you have hand-arm vibration syndrome possibly caused through work What should you do? Give ONE Answer A. Tell no-one as it's embarrassing B. Just inform your workmates C. Tell no-one as this is not reportable D. Inform your site supervisor or employer
46. Which TWO actions could help minimise waste?
Give All Correct Answers A. Leave bags of cement and plaster out in the rain, unprotected B. Re-use off-cuts (such as half bricks) as far as possible, rather than discarding them C. Use new materials/packs at the beginning of each day D. Only take or open what you need and return or reseal anything left over E. Always take much more than required - just in case you need it
47. Someone near you is using a disc-cutter to cut concrete blocks What THREE immediate hazards are likely to affect you? Give All Correct Answers A. Harmful dust in the air B. Flying fragments C. Dermatitis D. High noise levels E. Vibration white finger
48. You see a lorry parking. It has a flat tyre. Why should you tell the driver? Give ONE Answer A. The lorry will need to travel at a much slower speed B. The lorry will use more fuel C. The lorry can only carry small loads D. The lorry could be unsafe to drive
49. What is the main danger if you use a chisel or bolster with a 'mushroomed' head? Give ONE Answer A. The shaft of the chisel will bend when you hit it B. It will shatter and send fragments flying into the air C. It will damage the face of the hammer D. You will have to sharpen the chisel more often
50. What does this sign mean?Fragile roof Give ONE Answer A. Fragile roof. Take care when walking on roof surface B. Load-bearing roof. OK to stand on surface but not any rooflights C. Fragile roof. Do not stand directly on roof but use fall protection measures D. Load-bearing roof. Surface can be slippery when wet
ConstructionExam.co.uk is not associated or part of any scheme or organisation such as the CSCS, CPCS or CITB. The only intention of this website is to provide information about these schemes and their assessments.